N'awlins Venison Dirty Rice Recipe
December 20, 2017
Get a taste of New Orleans with this Venison Dirty Rice Recipe
I like to top this venison dirty rice dish with all kinds of cheeses and garnishes, including fresh green onions or sautéed mushrooms.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease (or 5 strips bacon)
- 1 pound ground venison (can substitute 1 pound breakfast-style venison sausage)
- 1 pound chicken livers, chopped and ground fine
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 sweet onions, diced
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 teaspoon fine-ground black pepper
1. Cook rice and set aside.
2. In a cast-iron skillet, add bacon fat and heat until clear. If using bacon, cook fully and chop, then leave in pan with grease.
3. Add onions and peppers, cooking about 3 minutes. Add liver, venison and all spices. Cook for about 6 minutes on high. If mixture starts to dry out, add more bacon fat. After cooking, add cooked rice to pan and stir well.