Trying to come up with a gift for that certain whitetail hunter in your life can seem to take as long, and become as frustrating, as his or her own quest for a monster buck. About all you’re really sure of is that the hunter in question—young or old, male or female—is nuts about deer hunting. Beyond that, you might not have a clue what the universe of possible gifts includes, much less exactly which one would be seen as “perfect.”
To take the guesswork out of the equation—and to save you some precious time—we rounded up the best gifts for the deer hunter on your holiday shopping list. Check out the 2013 Holiday Gift Guide for the perfect gift this year.
- Camouflage dipping firearms and accessories is expensive and permanent, and many camo tapes sold today often end up trapping in damaging moisture or leaving sticky residue behind after removal, defeating the benefits of protecting your firearm and allowing for quick modification. Remington Wrap 3M Breathable Camo is the safer and smarter solution for camouflaging your firearms and hunting equipment, applying to virtually any of your gear from stocks to scopes, mounts, lighting, optics, video cameras, range finders, cell phones and iPads.
- Camouflage dipping firearms and accessories is expensive and permanent, and many camo tapes sold today often end up trapping in damaging moisture or leaving sticky residue behind after removal, defeating the benefits of protecting your firearm and allowing for quick modification. <a href="http://www.shopremingtoncountry.com/Wrap-Breathable-Camo-Firearms-Accessories/dp/B007SYVQC2?utm_source=IMO+NorthAmericanWhitetail&utm_medium=Gift+Guide+Gallery&utm_campaign=2013+Q4+Holiday+Media" target="_blank">Remington Wrap 3M Breathable Camo</a> is the safer and smarter solution for camouflaging your firearms and hunting equipment, applying to virtually any of your gear from stocks to scopes, mounts, lighting, optics, video cameras, range finders, cell phones and iPads.
- If you have what your shrink likes to call “control issues,” the new <a href="http://www.bushnell.com/all-products/trail-cameras/trophy-cam/trophy-cam-hd-max" target="_blank">Trophy Cam HD from Bushnell</a> might be for you. In fact, it’s for any hunter that wants full control of a host of features, including standard hi-def images in either 3-, 5-, or 8-meg quality or a new hybrid capture mode that records both still images and HD video whenever the trigger is tripped. Also new for 2013 is a passive infrared sensor that can be triggered from up to 60 feet away. An auto setting adjusts trigger sensitivity according to ambient conditions to limit false triggers and increase battery life for up to one year. Multiple flash settings include an ultra-low feature that adjusts the 32 bulb LED flash so only eight fire, eliminating overexposure of up-close images. <p> <strong>Price: $</strong>199
- We often lament that our kids or grandkids don’t get enough exercise or exposure to hunting, and for the same reason: They’re playing video games nonstop. Well, Cabela’s has figured out a way to get them into hunting—while getting their hearts and the rest of their bodies a workout. It’s the <a href="http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Big-Game-Hunter-Hunting-Party-150-Kinect-for-Xbox-360/1258941.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dhunting%2Bparty%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=hunting+party&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products" target="_blank">Big Game Hunter Hunting Party video game</a>, described as a “full-motion, total-body, big-game hunting adventure.” <p> Specially designed for the Kinect for Xbox 360, the game offers hectic entertainment as the player races around the world in search of hunting success. There are single- and multiple-player options. Precise sensors track body movements, allowing the “hunter” to jump, dodge, aim and fire his or her way to the next level. Avoid obstacles, grab power-ups, harvest trophies and just generally have a good time. Maybe they’ll even let you play. The game is rated T for Teen...or is that Trophy? <p> <strong>Price: $</strong>40
- It’s only taken a couple hundred years, but someone finally improved on standard shoelaces. Like its eponymous name, the Boa lacing system incorporates a ratcheting dial and braided steel cables to snug the leather and nylon upper securely around your foot. Pull the dial out, and the cables instantly loosen. Designed to fit like your favorite tennis shoe yet offer outdoor-inspired performance, the lightweight <a href="http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Speed-Hunter-Boa-Hunting-Boots/1356284.uts" target="_blank">Cabela's Boa Speed Hunters</a> feature poly overlays to resist wear and also feature fully waterproof and breathable Dry-Plus linings. For fall 2013, Cabela’s is also offering the Boa system in a knee-high snake boot and deer-centric hunting boot. <p> <strong>Price: $</strong>150
- Let's face it, nobody is typically thrilled to get another pair of socks for Christmas. But with <a href="http://www.danner.com/pronghornr-dark-brown-heavy-weight-15-socks.html" target="_blank">Danner</a>'s heavyweight merino/acrylic blend socks, even you will smile when you see these under the tree. With a snug fit and extreme comfort, reinforced toe and heel sections, and open mesh knitting to allow breathing, these socks are about as good as it gets. <p> <strong>Price: $</strong>20
- For the high speed hunter who needs a fast, agile platform, the <a href="http://www.danner.com/high-ground-8-xtra-1000g.html" target="_blank">Danner</a> High Ground may just be the boot for you. Both light and comfortable with a streamlined fit, the High Ground is also ultra-rugged, with features like an ultra-durable, oiled nubuc leather and 9000 Denier nylon upper. The boot is waterproof, featuring breathable Gore-Tex lining and 400 gram Thinsulate insulation. <p> <strong>Price: $</strong>170
- <a href="http://www.leatherman.com/49.html" target="_blank">Leatherman</a> touts its OHT as the first one-hand-operable multi-tool. Rather than choose between one-handed pliers and one-handed blades, every part of the OHT can be used with just one hand, including the spring-loaded pliers that make the tool even easier and comfortable to use. The OHT also features a stainless steel body and is available in desert tan or black. <p> <strong>Price: $</strong>70
- Your trophy whitetail authority, North American Whitetail is proud to present the <a href="https://store.intermediaoutdoors.com/products.php?product=2014-North-American-Whitetail-Calendar" target="_blank">2014 North American Whitetail Calendar</a>. This calendar celebrates the whitetail with incredible photos. With each month you'll find interesting deer facts from the North American Whitetail experts, and each day of the calendar provides the moon phase and peak wildlife activity periods. A perfect gift for the whitetail enthusiast on your list. <p> <strong>Price: $</strong>12.95
- If your to-do list this holiday season includes finding something for a fan of <a href="https://store.intermediaoutdoors.com/" target="_blank">North American Whitetail</a>—the magazine, the TV show or both—you’re in luck. He or she probably would love a gift bearing the NAW logo. For starters, there’s a subscription to the magazine itself. Or how about a 2014 NAW calendar filled with spectacular images of beautiful live whitetails, as well as all moon phases and even preferred activity times for fish and wildlife each day? <p> Also available are stylish caps, unique DVDs and how-to books for the serious trophy whitetail hunter. These items are sure to keep the recipient thinking about big bucks every day of the year. And that’s a very good thing.
- If you're honest with yourself, deer hunters are pretty tough on our phones. They come with us into the deer stand, hang out on the dashboard of our trucks, and go everywhere in between. One of the best investments you'll make is to protect your smartphone with an <a href="http://www.otterbox.com/defender-series/defender-series,default,pg.html" target="_blank">OtterBox Defender Series</a> case. Not only are they extremely durable, they also come with a lifetime guarantee. <p> <strong>Price: $</strong>50-60
- If you're serious about managing your scent—and bagging a trophy whitetail—then you've got to think about getting an <a href="http://www.ozonicshunting.com/product_hr200treestandblind.shtml" target="_blank">Ozonics</a> HR-200. With two modes for treestand or ground blind hunting, the HR-200 is a whitetail hunter's best friend. It comes with a 12-volt rechargeable battery (4-5 hours run time) and weighs in at just 1.7 pounds. <p> <strong>Price: $</strong>400
- If you don’t have a linebacker for a hunting buddy—and perhaps even if you do—wrestling with a harvested whitetail can be a real chore. How often have you wished for a less stressful way to hang your deer for field dressing, washing, caping or simply getting into your vehicle? <p> <a href="http://vikingsl.com/RJ_page.html" target="_blank">The Rack Jack, from Viking Solutions</a>, is a lightweight mechanical hand winch built with the whitetail hunter in mind. The solid-steel frame mounts into a standard 2” rear hitch receiver or (with an optional accessory) can be used freestanding. The frame is rated for up to 300 pounds. And once you have your deer off the ground, the top of the frame swings to make it easy to get the carcass into your truck bed. Leave the linebacker at home. <p> <strong>Price: $</strong>160
- <a href="http://www.sitkagear.com/products/solids/jackets-vests/stormfront-jacket" target="_blank">Sitka gear</a> isn't for everyone, but if money is not an issue or you’re an investment banker itching to complete your sheep slam in style, the Stormfront system—priced like a waterproof Armani suit in Optifade camo—is right up your alley. The jacket has pit zips and four pockets. In fact, it has all the bells and whistles you can think of, including a stowaway hood, articulated arms and elbows, and three-layer Gore-Tex shell with fully-taped seams for durability and waterproofness. The pants come with suspenders, an internal belt, and full-length side zips. Fit, finish, and performance are excellent for both articles of clothing. <p> Price: $1,150
- Slipping and sliding in snow and ice isn’t just a hassle for the deer hunter trying to get through winter woods—it can be downright dangerous. For much better footing while hunting or doing anything else that involves dealing with winter weather, the Stabilicers Maxx ice cleat is an easy-on, easy-off option. Just slide them on over your regular cold-weather footwear. <p> The flexible rubber soles have case-hardened steel cleats (34 per pair) that bite into ice and snow, providing much-needed traction when the going gets tough. A pair of lightweight, compact Stabilicers Maxx will easily fit into a glove box or backpack until needed. A wide range of colors and sizes are available. <p> <strong>Price: $</strong>50
- Deer hunters spend a lot of time hanging around store flashlight displays. That’s because they’re forever losing them. Every time a flashlight gets placed on the ground on a deer hunt, there’s a fair chance it will remain there...forgotten until the owner is miles away. And who really remembers exactly where one was left? <p> That problem has been solved by the <a href="http://www.terraluxportable.com/product/tlh-50-headlamp/" target="_blank">Terralux TLH 50</a> headlamp. Unlike many budget headlamps, it features not just hands-free convenience, but also high performance. How about a maximum output of 540 lumens—for 3 hours on a single charge? The TLH 50 weighs a mere 5.3 ounces, including the included CR123A batteries. It’s even rated waterproof for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter. <p> <strong>Price: $</strong>80
- All sorts of creams, ointments and lotions promise to ease the pain and itching of insect bites and stings. But how can a deer hunter treat such problems without adding any of these foreign smells to his setup? <p> The toxins released in many insect bites and stings are thermolabile; that is, they’re controlled by heat. So the folks at Therapik decided to use that against the toxins. Their battery-powered, handheld device uses a targeted application of heat in just the right temperature range to temporarily neutralize the toxins. <p> While this device doesn’t permanently relieve pain or itching, it makes life more comfortable in a tree stand or ground blind, especially during the warm weather of early season. It reportedly even works on jellyfish stings, though not on spider or snake bites. <p> <strong>Price: $</strong>13