Booking An Outfitter: 12 Key Questions To Ask
April 25, 2012
You've salted away the hard-earned money for that hunt of a lifetime and you're finally ready to take on the task booking an outfitter. Use these 12 key questions with every prospective outfitter and reference. Take notes and document any areas of concern. Also add several questions of your own to the list. You'll notice trends very quickly that will shorten the learning curve. The answers to these questions should match reasonably between the outfitter and references from hunters who have hunted with him. Beware if there are strong inconsistencies between the outfitter and hunters!
- What is the total acreage available for hunting?
- How many hunters per year are taken?
- How many hunters per week are booked?
- What is the average B&C gross score of harvested bucks?
- What is the opportunity rate on trophy deer?
- What is the success rate on big bucks?
- What are the reasons hunters go home without filling a tag?
- What is a typical hunting day like?
- What kind of accommodations and meals are provided?
- What are the additional and total hunt costs?
- When can the most rut activity be expected?
- What dates are typically the most productive?