Venison Gorgonzola Salad with Fried Eggplant Croutons Recipe
This venison salad recipe is topped with crispy fried eggplant croutons and drizzled with a flavorful homemade Gorgonzola dressing
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time:12 minutes
- 2 pounds whole venison backstrap
- Fresh basil
- 3 ounces olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pink sea salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon basil powder
- 1 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- 1 stick salted butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 8 ounces spring mix
- Roma tomatoes
- Sliced cucumber
- Red onions
- Balsamic vinegar to drizzle on top
- Dried apricots, dates, prunes, cranberries (optional)
- 2-3 cups shredded carrot, cabbage, veggie blend (optional)
- 1 cup pickled banana peppers (optional)
Fried Eggplant Crouton Ingredients:
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Marinate the venison backstrap in the buttermilk, fresh basil and garlic for 48 hours.
- Pour olive oil in a cast-iron skillet, heat over medium heat. Rinse off marinade and pat the backstrap dry with a kitchen towel.
- Roll venison in seasonings listed up to, but not including, Gorgonzola cheese. Place in skillet and cook for 1 ½ minutes on each of the 4 sides for medium rare, 3 minutes on each side for medium-well to well-done. Let sit 20 minutes, then slice ⅓ inch thick.
- In separate saucepan, melt butter. Add red pepper flakes and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add cheese. Cook for about 3 minutes, then add white wine.
- Tear lettuce into 1 ½-inch squares and place in large bowl. Add all other vegetable and sliced venison on top.
- To make the eggplant croutons, sprinkle eggplant with salt, then roll in bread crumbs. Heat olive oil in skillet and fry eggplant until golden brown on top.
- Add croutons to salad, then pour on the Gorgonzola sauce and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.